Problems of Women in STEM


It is rare to see women in STEM professions. You may think that the number of girls involved in STEM raises over time, but statistics show the opposite. Although the percentage of women in mathematical and physical sciences remains approximately the same, in computer science the situation is even worse. Why there is such a huge gender gap or what pushes away women in STEM - I will discuss further. 

Percentage of women among IT professionals

It is a factor that I realized after some time - there is no place for feminine behavior. Since women are mostly surrounded by men, they start to behave in a more masculine way to fit into society. No dresses, no makeup, just jeans and a shirt. It is very uncommon to meet a woman who looks feminine in a society where it is better not to differ from others. Even I feel very uncomfortable if I wear a dress at my work. I already catch a lot of eyes since I am the only girl there, so it is better not to get extra attention by wearing a dress and makeup. 


Women feel alone. In an atmosphere of a company, women find it hard to have a person they can talk with, to dinner together, or go to breaks together. It is a piece of luck if she will be able to be accepted in men's company. And even though, relationships are kept in tension. 


There are many more problems I want to discuss, but let's leave it for another post. I hope that society will advance and will be more friendly towards women in STEM.


Have you noticed any gender discrimination at your work?

Комментарии

  1. Regarding the dress code, I agree. However, girls are sometimes more pleasant to talk to)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. I did not know about this, because I work from home, but it is quite noticeable that even at freelance there is very small amount of females working there.

    ОтветитьУдалить

Отправить комментарий

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Hi, I'm Maftuna Ziyamova

Job Interview